Assignments – Competencies in the new assignment creation experience
This update includes the capability to add and remove learning objectives from the Competencies tool when used with the new create and edit assignment experience. The new experience also displays a warning if a learning objective does not have an associated rubric, as objectives must have an associated rubric in order to be evaluated.
Brightspace Learning Environment – Supported browsers
This release introduces the following updates to browser support for Avenue to Learn/Brightspace Learning Environment:
- Avenue to Learn supports HTML5 Video Player and does not rely on Adobe Flash and Adobe Flash Player. However, you can still create Flash-dependent video content in Brightspace Learning Environment.
- The concept of a Maintenance browser is removed from the Brightspace Platform Requirements documentation, as this previously related to the now unsupported Microsoft Internet Explorer browser. All supported browsers (Chrome, Edge, Firefox, and Safari) deploy using a continuous delivery model and Avenue/Brightspace supports the latest versions of these browsers.
- As of the July 2020 release, Firefox ESR is no longer a supported browser, due to extremely low usage. To support clients through this transition, D2L will fix high-priority issues for Firefox 68 ESR (until the end of September 2020) and Firefox 78 ESR (until the January 2021 release). Regular Firefox will still be supported.
- Brightspace Learning Environment’s browser version check now displays warnings for browsers earlier than the following versions:
- Chrome 81 (released in April 2020)
- Chromium-based Edge 81 (released in April 2020)
- Edge Legacy 44 (not receiving any further updates)
- Safari 13 (released in September 2019)
- Firefox 76 (releases May 5th, 2020)
You can access Avenue to Learn with older versions of our supported browsers; however, D2L does not test Brightspace Learning Environment against these older versions. This means you may encounter unexpected user interface behavior and appearance, or broken and unsupported functionality. In most cases, D2L does not fix software defects experienced in unsupported browser versions. For an optimal experience that offers better performance, accessibility, and security, D2L strongly recommends that all users access Brightspace Learning Environment with a supported browser.
Email – Verify email address changes
Previously, users were able to add a forwarding email address, or add a reply to address without verifying their email address. Now, when users add a forwarding email address, or add a reply to address, they receive an email prompting them to verify their email address.
Rubrics – Accessibility improvements in Rubric creation workflow
This update includes the following accessibility improvements in the rubric creation workflow:
- When you change the names of levels in the rubric create or edit experience, screen readers now read the updated name rather than the original default level names.
- Screen readers now indicate when new levels, criterion, groups, and overall score levels are added to a rubric. Previously, there was no loading progress indicator.
- Screen readers now state that there is a new level, criterion, group, or overall score level.
- The keyboard navigation tab sequence is improved when navigating to the Add and Cancel buttons in the Outcomes Picker window
Widgets – Pinned tab in My Courses widget
A new Pinned tab now appears in the My Courses widget. The Pinned tab allows learners and instructors to create a curated view of their pinned courses.
The Pinned tab appears in the widget only after a user pins a course in the Course Selector. The tab remains in view until all courses are unpinned. The My Courses widget remembers the last viewed tab and shows that same tab the next time the homepage is viewed. This makes it easy for instructors and learners who only wish to view pinned courses to see those courses upon login.